Caol Ila Distillery

  • Caol Ila distillery established in 1846, by Hector Henderson.

  • Whisky distillery from Islay region in Scotland.

  • Produces Single Malt Whisky & has capacity 6.5 million litres per annum.

  • The distillery is open, operated by Diageo through the corporate merger of United Distillers, and owned by Diageo from 1997 – present.

  • Over two decades and three changes of hands sees the distillery rebuilt and expanded. By 1879 Caol Ila has its own pier where steam ships or puffers can unload supplies and load up on whisky for sale on the mainland. In 1920 the distillery closed, is reopened and production begins again in 1934. The distillery closed during World War II, from 1942 to 1945, because of wartime restrictions on the supply of barley to distillers. In 1972 production increases as the distillery expands from two to six stills. In 1974, a demand for blended whisky once again influences the fate of Caol Ila, which is completely rebuilt to meet increasing demand – making it the biggest on Islay. In 2011 another major revamp took place with a new mash tun and more washbacks being installed.

Caol Ila logo scotland islay single malt whisky

Visit Website

Start typing and press Enter to search